Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Find My iPhone Vigilante Justice

After a Wednesday night out at the USC-classic 901 Bar and Grill, I unfortunately ended the carefree night by forgetting my iPhone in the back of my Uber ride home. Without the drivers phone number, my first instinct was to call my phone and turn on “Find My iPhone” – a popular GPS service from Apple that can locate your iPhone as long as it is switched on. Well, it was just my luck that my phone went “offline” somewhere in West Hollywood. Uber headquarters got back to me that night with the driver’s phone number, and no surprise when Salah failed to answer any of my calls. This guy was stealing my phone.

After pathetically finishing my McChicken through tears I made it to bed for a short night’s sleep. My anxiety did not fail to wake me up the next morning at 8am, and first thing I did was call Salah again. He shockingly answered, but told me that he did not find any iPhone in his car. When I told him that according to Find My iPhone my phone was switched off somewhere in West Hollywood, he said he had taken two passengers after me in West Hollywood. “Typical Hollywood guys,” he described to me, “maybe early 30s, British accents, they must have swiped it.” I asked Salah if could send me any further information about them – their name, number, address, whatever I could use to track them down. He had to go to work, but he was happy to send me anything he had. He actually seemed pretty nice.

Twice that morning, Find My iPhone notified me that my phone had been quickly switched on and off in two locations: the first near UCLA campus, the second at an address in Culver City.  Plugging the Culver City address into Google Maps, I saw that it was residential.  Meanwhile I had been talking to Salah all day. He sent me screenshots of the maps of his Uber rides after me, which gave me a residential address in West Hollywood. Salah said this was where the British men lived. So I had two addresses to investigate: one in Culver City (where the iPhone was last switched on) and one in West Hollywood (where these supposed “typical Hollywood guys” lived). That’s when I decided to go on the manhunt.

Frantically explaining my story to my best friends on iMessage on my Macbook and iPad, I wanted to see if anyone could drive me to check out these addresses. Some warned against the safety of showing up at random peoples' doorsteps. Obviously it seemed like a wild-goose chase and an overall dumb idea. More than likely the addresses weren’t going to lead me anywhere, and even if they did I could easily be putting myself in danger. Finally I found a friend on the same potentially naive wavelength as me: “Let’s go on an adventure and hunt these Hollywood club douches down,” she texted me.

We went to Culver City first, reluctantly got out of the car and knocked on some doors, armed with an iPad in hand with Find My iPhone evidence of an address that lead us to their door. Obviously no one had any idea what we were talking about. Defeated we got back into the car, but took notice of a car pulling up to a driveway nearby. For some reason, we both instinctively felt like we should wait a few minutes in the turned-off car. Then we spotted a man approaching us. “Jordan?!” the wide-eyed man was shocked to see us there. It was Salah – my Uber driver from the night before. So much for these British “Hollywood-type guys” I was looking for.

Find my iPhone had lead us to his home. I warned him of how suspicious this looked. After immediately denying it, he knew it was game over. “Don’t make a scene, my wife is right over there. I have your phone, I’ll go get it,” he conceded. Shaken up, my friend urged me to get back in the car. I rolled down my window, he gave me my phone in one piece, and we drove off.

Some real modern day Sherlock Holmes shit.

Technology has caused the nature of petty crime to change tremendously. People are not as easily able to hide behind anonymity, and frankly opportunists, like Salah, who don’t know what they are doing, are idiots. I would be surprised if anyone born before 1965 completely understands all the technology steps identified – from Find my iPhone, to screenshots of his Uber maps, to iMessaging on my Macbook and iPad. Yet to anyone born after 1985 this is all extremely basic. This technology at my disposal is exactly why I was tempted to take this mission into my own hands.

Despite my personal success, the New York Times cites similar examples to mine, and warns of this Find my iPhone vigilante justice:

"With smartphone theft rampant, apps like Find My iPhone offer a new option for those desperate to recover their devices, allowing victims like Ms. Maguire to act when the police will not. But the emergence of this kind of do-it-yourself justice -- an unintended result of the proliferation of GPS tracking apps -- has stirred worries among law enforcement officials that people are putting themselves in danger, taking disproportionate risks for the sake of an easily replaced item."

Although law enforcement deplores citizens taking these unnecessary risks, LAPD’s ambivalent response to my problem deterred me from pursuing their help as a first-step. Earlier in the day I had called LAPD and despite my evidence, the woman who answered wondered if I had just lost my phone at the bar. She said they receive many reports of missing iPhones, but I could come in and file a report if I wanted. I suspected LAPD would do absolutely nothing. To be fair, with countless more serious crimes to investigate in the area, I wouldn’t blame them. I mean, it was my fault for leaving my phone in the backseat to begin with. But to me, personally, this was a $700 item at stake and it was time-sensitive.

I’ve had a number of people tell me how lucky I was – both for actually succeeding at getting my iPhone back, and also at not putting myself in a more dangerous situation. But would I do this again? Absolutely. Perhaps foolish, but without a more efficient method for law enforcement to pursue iPhone theft, it may be the only solution. Technology is miles smarter than our average criminals, so perhaps advancing technology and efficiency capabilities among law enforcement can help put them one step ahead and save risks taken by average citizens, like myself.

4 comments:

  1. First I would like to start off by saying that this is the funniest post I have read. If I was in your position I would have done the same exact thing. Losing your cell phone has to be one of the worst circumstances. Puts you in a very shitty situation. Your phone is something very personal and unique. It holds all your messages, photos, contacts, and essentials for your everyday life. I have lost my phone before and let me tell you, it was the shittiest feeling. This feeling of anxiety comes over and you feel like someone has stripped apart of your life from you. It's a little sad to think that a small object of technology brings such anxiety when it's taken away, but our cell phones have become more of a necessity than anything. Moreover, the situation you were in can be very dangerous but once again I would have done the same thing if I were you. By taking risks and going with your gut feeling, you saw from first-hand experiences that it can also lead to advantages. I'm glad you were able to retrieve your phone and I hope that you're never put in this type of situation again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the previous comment as to this being one of the funniest things that I've ever read, secondly i would like you to invite me along next time you decide to do any of this modern day Sherlock Holmes shit. The thing is, I think most people in our generation would have done what you would have done. Our phones contain our entire lives. The only thing our Iphone can't do is walk, but other than that it stores all our information, talks back to us, and allows us to download software that comes in handy more times than one. Our phones are our best friends. They are what links us to the world and without that link we feel like we're left out in the dark- as if so much is happening and we're falling behind. This level of anxiety can be paralyzing. If this was 10 years ago we wouldn't care so much about losing our phones because well the only things that were stored on there were contacts; in this new day and age everything is customized for us and the thought of losing our phone is like losing part of our identity. All in all I loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. I read that last summer, the California Assembly passed a bill that would require smartphones to start having "kill switches," aka shutting off your phone so the people who take them won't be able to use them. My friend actually had her phone swiped from her back pocket as she was getting into a Campus Cruiser last year, and I guess because it happened on campus, DPS decided to go all out -- using Find My iPhone, enlisting LAPD and even (apparently) hiring a helicopter to finally surround the guy, who had taken off down Fig and run to the Staples Center. (Now that I think about it, she has a tendency to exaggerate... Though I did see the DPS crime report, so at least some part of that has to be true.) Thanks for inspiring us to be braver, and here's hoping this Salah got fired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious but so sad- glad you made it out of there ok and good for you for going after your phone! It will be interesting to see how apps play into this idea of citizen justice as well. There are several college-specific apps that allow students to anonymously report crimes, burglaries, theft, assault, etc. How will people begin to take these matters into their own hands once given the technology to do so? Great post!

    ReplyDelete